This month, I finished the exterior shots for the Soyuz Flight sequence, and began work on repairing the shot of the train exterior from the opening sequence of the “Lunatics!” pilot.
I also installed a mini-split air-conditioner in the studio, which is very useful in this hot Summer!
Finished the Soyuz Flight pod-staging shot, and re-rendered the other exterior shots from S1E01-SF, to fix a broken texture for the Earth’s surface.
I started work on recovering the exterior train shot from S1E01-TR2.
This shot has a number of problems. Some elements were lost due to a linking mistake, although the animation for them is still included in the file. To recover that, I hope to re-add the elements and use ABX to copy the animation to the newly-created proxy.
In addition, though, the set and other elements were set up at an incorrect scale (1 BU = 2.9 m, intead of 1 BU = 1 m). Scaling in Blender is not so simple, though, because some of the more complex elements, like animation and particle systems have unmarked units that don’t scale with the models.
Ran a 75% off coupon for my solar-system poster set on my Fediverse accounts. I sold 3 out of the 10 sets left. Which is a little underwhelming, considering the high discount. But then, they are the only sales I’ve made this year, so I’m happy to have made them.
I installed the 1.3 version of Inkscape, and started using the font categorization feature. This is a feature I’ve wanted to have for years. I think it will save me a lot of time and hassle.
I installed a new “mini-split” heat pump (cools and heats). This should be a lot more efficient than the portable duct-based air-conditioner that we replaced.
Video Worklog Summary
JULY 2023 Project Report (Music, No Commentary)
This month, I finished the pod-staging animation. I also needed to re-render the rest of the sequence to incorporate repairs I made to the set file (it had been missing a large texture file).
Started work on repairing the Western Kazakhstan Railway set and the exterior shot of the train that it is used for (S1E01-TR2).
Upgraded Inkscape 1.3, which includes a new feature I’ve been asking for for years: a method to organize installed fonts. This version now incorporates “Font Categories”, which is a folder system in the font menus. I proceeded to sort my fonts using it. This is going to be a big time-saver!
During an internet outage, I decided I really should have a way to write, preferably in Markdown format, without needing to be online. I can, of course use Kate (text editor) for this, but I’d like to see the formatted output while I’m working on it (not necessarily WYSIWYG — a preview window is fine).
So far, all the easy-to-install options on Debian/Ubuntu have trouble formatting real Markdown files in my collection, so I don’t know if I’ve found a good option yet (it’s also possible that my Markdown files are non-standard).
Installed outlets and a light on my workbench.
Put a new thermometer and hygrometer in the studio server closet.
00:15 “Lunatics!” – Soyuz Podstaging Animation (finished)
06:27 “Lunatics!” – Soyuz Launch Sequence Exteriors (S1E01-SF4, A-D)
07:24 “Lunatics!” – Train Exterior Shot (S1E01-TR2) & Railway Set Review/Scaling
09:35 Inkscape 1.3 Release (Upgrade from PPA)
09:50 Sorting Fonts with new “Font Categories” feature
11:28 Testing Offline Markdown Editor Options
12:52 Mini-Split Heat Pump (Air Conditioner) Installation in Studio
16:03 Electrical outlets and light for electronics workbench
17:01 Thermometer/Hygrometer for server closet
17:07 Music Credits / Project Support URLs